Professional Trainers Working Together


We are often asked questions about Forklift Licencing.  Here are some of our most frequent queries.  If you have a different question please feel free to contact TRANZnet.

  • Q. Forklift - What size can I operate with a forklift licence?

    A.  Forklift Licence allows you to operate any size and type of Forklift, so long as your Employer has provided you with the necessary training and instructions to operate the forklift on your work site.

  • Q. Am I competent to operate a forklift in all situations?

    A.  No. Holding a Licence indicates you have a basic knowledge of the competencies required. It does not mean all Forklifts, regardless of type, size or situations e.g. Cold Stores. Your Employer has a legal obligation to provide you with suitable training and instruction to operate the Forklift you may be required to use relevant to that work site.

  • Q. Who can supervise a learner operator?

    A. You can be supervised on the job, by the holder of a High Risk Work Licence only if you are enrolled in a formal training program with a Registered Training Organisation (find a Trainer by using the search facility on the Home page).

    The previously accepted method of training in an informal manner is now prohibited by Regulation in all states and territories.

  • Q. Can I become a High Risk Work assessor and what is involved?

    A.  To become an assessor you will need to show and have written proof that you have held and used a High Risk Work Licence for several years. Most states also require the most up to date certificate in workplace training & assessment.

    Application is made either to the relevant Workcover/WorkSafe department in your state of residence, or via a Registered Training Organisation.

    The Licensing authority will verify your claims, and if successful you will undergo an examination on your knowledge of the equipement you wish to assess, and the system used in conducting assessments. Fees are usually payable either with your initial application or at such time as indicated by the relevant department.

    The whole process may take several months.

    If you do become an assessor you will be audited by your authority at frequent intevals to ensure you are complying with all guidelines provided for the conduct of High Risk Work Licence assessments, and by local education authorities.

    The NRAA is a specialist sub-branch of TRANZnet, and will be pleased to receive an application for inclusion in their ranks as soon as you are appointed an assessor.

  • Q. I have an interstate forklift license; can I use it in any state otr territory?

    A. Yes. Any Forklift (or any other High Risk Licence) issued by any Licensing authority is acceptable Australia wide.

  • Q. I have lost or misplaced my forklift licence, can I get it replaced?

    A.  Yes, provided it is still within 5 years of it's issue date. Contact the Licensing authority in the jurisdiction the Licence was issued. They will assist you to get a replacement Licence - there is usually a fee.

  • Q. How do I contact a forklift assessor?

    A.  You can obtain a list of highly qualified and competent authorised assessors for your region by using the search facility on the Home page of this website.
    You could also do it the hard way, and get a list from the Workcover/WorkSafe website or through your local Licensing Branch.

  • Q. Can forklifts be used on a road?

    A.  Yes, provided it is registered (under the Road Traffic Act), the controller/owner gives permission, and you hold a valid truck or car license to cover the size of the Forklift.

  • Q. Forklift - Use of work platforms

    A.  Forklift Truck Work Platforms should be limited to situations where it is necessary to raise persons to perform specific short duration tasks and where it was not practical to use scaffolding, an elevated work platform or similar designed device.
    Forklift Work Platforms must be designed for this sole purpose and should not be used for order picking or day to day work activity.

    When using a Forklift Work Platform the following safe practices must be observed:

    • The Forklift must be parked on a hard level surface, with hand brake on.
    • The Work Platform must be securely attached to the Forklift.
    • Barriers and signs must be used in areas subject to passing traffic.
    • The travel controls must be in neutral position.
    • Forklift mast must be vertical with tynes set horizontal.
    • All controls, other than lift and lower, must be immobilized.
    • The Forklift Operator must remain at the controls at all times, keeping hands and feet clear of controls at all times, other than lift/lower when required.
    • Operator must keep all parts of the Forklift clear of overhead obstructions, especially electrical conductors.
    • Before lifting a person in a Work Platform, Operator must raise the Work Platform to the required work height.
    • Pre-operational checks must be completed prior to lifting any person in a Work Platform.

    (For more information refer to AS 2359.2 and/or an Assessor/Trainer).

    The Operator and Work Platform occupier must also observe specific work site rules and be aware of other events in the area of operation, which may impact on the safety of the Operator or Work Platform occupant.

  • Q. Forklift capacity plate - What information?

    A.  The Forklift Capacity Plate must be specific to the machine on which it is attached, legible and easily viewed by the Operator. The plate should display at least the following metric information.

    • Load capacity in Kilogram’s or Tonnes
    • Lift height
    • Load center distance
    • Down rating of lift capacity if mast tilt is fitted.
    • Down rating for specific attachments identified on the Capacity Plate.
    • Brand and Model number
  • Q. Forklift - What attachments can I use?

    A.  There are numerous purpose built approved attachments for use with Forklifts, e.g. drum grabs, rotators, jibs, carpet spikes etc.

    Any attachment you use must be securely attached to the forklift, appropriate to the movement of the load. The weight of the attachment should be treated as part of the load and deducted from the Safe Working Load of the forklift.

    Your Employer must provide you with information on any risks or hazards associated with the use of any attachment and provide you with specific training on the use of the attachment and how such attachment will affect the stability of the forklift.

  • Q. Forklift license - Can I get the theory questions & answers from WorkCover?

    A.  No, it is specifically prohibited for the Assessment questions to be provided to a trainee as part of the training program.
    You will need to consult with a RTO or a Forklift Assessor to arrange formal training and assessment.

  • Q. Forklift learners permit - Do I need one?

    A.  No, Learners Permits were discontinued in 1995.

  • Q. Forklift - I have an old licence

    A.  The older type of Forklift Licenses have been phased out by all states and territories.

    All High Risk Work licenses have a photograph of the holder, and require renewal every 5 years.

    Check with your local regulator to verify if your old license can still be changed over to the new type.


  • Q. Forklift license - Can I operate a forklift without a Licence?

    A.  Yes, provided you are supervised by the nominated holder of a Forklift Licence and the training you are receiving is for the sole purpose of gaining your own Forklift Licence and is to a formal program. You may be required to record the training undertaken in your training log book, duly signed by your supervisor.

    Supervision normally means within sight and sound at all times whilst the "Learner" is operating the equipment, unless circumstances allow this to be varied (as per the WHS or OH&S Regulations).

  • Q. Forklift license - How to get one?

    A.  Forklift Licenses - NOTE Forklift Ticket and Certificate of Competency are terms no longer used with the introduction of the National System. The Forklift Licence is one of several High Risk Work Licences.

    You must be over 18, pass a practical and theoretical assessment of your competency, carried out by a Registered Forklift Assessor. This broad principle applies to all applicants for a High Risk Work Licence.

    All States and Teritories follow a "National System" which requires training of applicants to be carried out in conjunction with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). Set training modules are required to be completed either in a training facility, on the job supervised to the RTO's requirements, online, or combinations of these according to circumstances. On completion of training the applicant will be assessed by an authorised assessor following a nationally endorsed instrument of assessment.

    A pass leads to a HRW License recognised nationally in all States. If deemed to be "not yet competent", further training will be needed in the relevant areas in which competence has not yet been attained - re-assessment for the Licence may then follow.

    All jurisdictions currently implement the national system in a slightly different way, and it is hoped these differences will gradually vanish, under a truly national system of Licensing.